Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pinterest has made me obsessed with embroidery hoop decorating!

My dreams of becoming a world famous blogger have come to a grinding halt since I haven't blogged a single thing in so long.  I can't be the crafting Perez Hilton without tons of updates and news. 

In defense to me though, it's not like I wasn't crafting and creating.  In fact, I was doing so much of it, that I didn't have time to blog.  It sounded like a valid excuse in my head, even if you aren't buying it. 

So I'm trying to come back strong with this post, and then keep the momentum going with all the other stuff I've been doing.  In the past few months I have gotten back into cross stitching pretty hardcore.  My mom tried to get me into this as a kid, but I didn't have the patience for it.  Especially when the thread was always knotting. 

But last year I started back up my doing a really simple yet awesome kit put together by NERDJerk over ob Etsy.  All her stuff is amazeballs, but her kits are super cute, and she does everything herself, even down to screen printing her own packaging. She is one of my all time favorite crafters. 

So then just a few weeks ago my cousin was married, and as a gift I cross stitched her a super cute custom design done by weelittlestitches.  That will be its own blog post soon. 

All this thread and hoop work has started a new obsession in me.  Embroidery hoops.  I went to a random thrift store yesterday and scored 6 different hoops all different shapes and sizes.  And all for about a dollar a piece!  Yes! 

So today I used some cute material I had on hand, and then made a trip to Hobby Lobby to get some more.  I didn't really do a tutorial, only because it didn't seem necessary.  I just got the fabric in there, made sure it was tight and looked nice and then cut the back really short.  I think I will need to add some weight maybe glue and old battery or something in the back of the hoops so that the bottom lays flat on the wall. 

My materials were:
Embroidery hoops
Fabric in your design of choice
Iron and ironing board
Scissors

I also might use some of the striped material and cut it into a heart, and stitch it onto the orange.  Don't you just love that big hoop?!?













All in all I am super happy with how they came out.  I can't wait to rearrange stuff and add stuff to my walls to make them look even more awesome!

<3 Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment